Let's bust some myths about the English degree...
Did you know that 96% of new Fredonia graduates report finding employment and/or enrollment in a graduate program within the first year of graduating?
We’ve all heard folks scoff about what you can do with an English degree. But the truth of the matter is English majors are highly valued employees in a wide array of fields. According to numerous surveys, employers seek out individuals who are strong communicators, excellent writers and researchers, and insightful critical thinkers. Our English programs blend contemporary literary studies with critical, professional, and creative writing, and give students numerous opportunities for hands-on learning through community partnerships and internships. We produce top-notch graduates who get hired by regional and national organizations or go on to graduate programs all over the country.
Here is just a small sample of the paths our recent English alumni have pursued:
- Guidance Counselor
- Creative Director
- News Anchor
- Graphic Designer
- English Teacher
- JD, Law: Suffolk University School of Law
- MFA: Columbia University, Vanderbilt University
- MS/MSEd, TESOL: University of Rochester
- MS, Literacy 5-12: University at Albany, St. John Fisher College
- MLS, Library and Informational Science: University at Buffalo
- MSEd, Adolescent English Education: Medaille College
- MSEd, Curriculum and Instruction: Fredonia
- MSEd, School Counseling: St. Bonaventure University
For the bigger picture, check out the Wordle below, based on actual data reported by our 2010-2015 alumni. This graphic illustrates jobs they achieved within a few years of graduation.
Given well-documented evidence that humanities majors do better over time and anecdotal examples from our own alumni (including New York Times-bestselling authors, directors of marketing and communication, distinguished educators, and leaders in both the corporate world and non-profit organizations), studying English at Fredonia has never looked better!