Kate Mahoney, Ph.D.
Associate Professor and TESOL Programs Coordinator
Office: TH E254 Phone: (716) 673-4653
Dr. Mahoney is an associate professor for the TESOL program in the Department of Language, Learning, and Leadership at Fredonia. Dr. Mahoney earned her Ph.D. in Curriculum & Instruction with a concentration in Bilingual Education from Arizona State University in 2003. Mahoney's research addresses the validity of using achievement and language proficiency test scores for Emergent Bilingual Learners (EBLs), language program effectiveness through
meta-analysis, and evaluating policies and practices concerning EBLs in Arizona and nationally. She taught 4th grade at an elementary school in Kingsville, Texas where student’s home languages included English and Spanish; and mathematics at a high school in Belmopan, Belize where student’s home languages included Creole, English, Spanish and Garifuna. Previously, she worked as a field specialist for one of National Science Foundation’s (NSF) state systemic initiatives to improve math and science education through culturally relevant practices to 18 schools in Northwest New Mexico, including work with students having Zuni, Navajo and Laguna/Acoma and English as home languages. Dr. Mahoney teaches theory, methods, and clinically-based courses at Fredonia, some of which are Assessment and Evaluation of Emergent Bilingual Learners, Content Area ESL, Master’s Project Research, and Foundations of Bilingual Education. In addition to teaching and conducting research, she coordinates a Student Teaching in Puebla, Mexico program and supervises ESOL student-teachers in Western New York for Fredonia. Dr. Mahoney was awarded a Title VII Bilingual Education Fellowship, an AERA Dissertation Award--in conjunction with the AERA Grants Program, sponsored jointly by NSF, NCES and OERI--, and at Fredonia, she was awarded the William T. Hagan Young Scholar Award at Fredonia.
Dr. Mahoney has published research findings in the International Journal of Language Studies, International Journal of Testing, Journal of Educational Research and Policy Studies, Bilingual Research Journal, and Educational Policy, among others. She published (with Haladyna and MacSwan) a book chapter with Multilingual Matters (In J. S. Lee, T. G. Wiley, & R. Rumberger (eds.), Book Title: The Education of Language Minority Immigrants in the USA) and a book chapter (with MacSwan, Haladyna, and Garcia) for Teacher’s College Press (In P. Gándara (ed.), Book Title: Forbidden Language), and recently wrote a book chapter (with Rolstad and MacSwan) for Information Age Publishing (In G. McField (ed.) Book Title: The Miseducation of English Learners). Mahoney is currently writing a core textbook with Caslon titled Assessment Essentials for Emergent Bilingual Learners.
- Mahoney, K., MacSwan, J., Haladyna, T., & Garcia, D. (2010). Castañeda’s Third Prong: The Achievement of Arizona’s English Language Learners under Proposition 203. In P. Gándara (ed.), Forbidden Language. (pp. 50-64) New York, NY: Teacher’s College Press.
- Mahoney, K., Haladyna, T., & MacSwan, J. (2009). The need for multiple measures in reclassification decisions: A validity study of the Stanford English Language Proficiency Test (SELP). In J. S. Lee, T. G. Wiley, & R. Rumberger (eds.), The Education of Language Minority Immigrants in the USA (pp.263-294). Bristol, UK: Multilingual Matters.
- Mahoney, K. (2008). Linguistic influences on differential item functioning for second language learners on the National Assessment of Educational Progress (NAEP). International Journal of Testing, 8(1), 14-33.
- Mahoney, K. & Rolstad (2008). Program Effectiveness Research, pp. 675-678. In J. Gonzalez (ed.), Encyclopedia of Bilingual Education. Thousand Oaks, California: Sage Publishers.
- Mahoney, K. (2008) Impact of Proposition 203 (Arizona) pp. 688-691. In J. Gonzalez (ed.), Encyclopedia of Bilingual Education. Thousand Oaks, California: Sage Publishers.
- Mahoney, K. (2008). James Cummins pp. 210-211. In J. Gonzalez (ed.), Encyclopedia of Bilingual Education. Thousand Oaks, California: Sage Publishers.
- MacSwan, J. & Mahoney, K., (2008). Academic Bias in Language Testing: A Construct Validity Critique of the OPT I Oral Grades K-6 Spanish Second Edition (IPT Spanish) Journal of Educational Research and Policy Studies (JERPS), 8(2), 86-101.
- Rolstad, K., Mahoney, K., & Glass, G.V. (2008). The Big Picture in Bilingual Education: A Meta-analysis Corrected for Gersten’s Coding Error Journal of Educational Research and Policy Studies (JERPS), 8(2), 1-15.
- Rolstad, K., Mahoney, K., & Glass, G.V. (2005). The big picture: A meta-analysis of program effectiveness research on English language learners. Educational Policy, 19(4), 572-594.
- Rolstad, K., Mahoney, K., & Glass, G.V. (2005).Weighing the evidence: A meta-analysis of bilingual education in Arizona. Bilingual Research Journal, 29(1), 43-67.
- Mahoney, K., and MacSwan, J. (2005). Reexamining identification and reclassification of English language learners: A critical discussion of select state practices. Bilingual Research Journal, 29(1), 31-42.
Ph.D. in Curriculum and Instruction with a Concentration in Bilingual Education, December 2003, Arizona State University, Tempe, AZ.