Starfish for Students
Starfish at Fredonia is designed to facilitate communication among students, Academic Advisors, instructors, and others who are here to support student learning.
Starfish provides a central location to connect to the people and services that can help the students at Fredonia engage in their education.
What can Starfish do for you?
Starfish allows you to receive email notifications from your instructors regarding your academic performance in class. Reply to the email to communicate with your instructor or follow the steps in the email to contact campus resources.
- Advisors, as well as some campus services, may also be able to see these notifications and may reach out to help connect you to the appropriate resources.
How can students use Starfish?
- Log in to Starfish (blue button at the top of the page) using your e-services username and password
- Upload your picture and set your email preferences
- Make it easier for your instructors and advisors to get to know you and stay in contact. Begin by setting up your student profile. Your profile lets faculty, advisors, and support staff know who you are and how to contact you. It also gives you control over how you wish to receive emails. Click your name in the top right corner of your Home page to open your profile. From here, you can customize your profile by uploading a photo of yourself and add a secondary email address for receiving Starfish emails. Once you have made your desired changes to your profile, click the Submit button to save your updates.
- Connect to people who can help you
- Easily access and connect with your "Success Network" - A personal, searchable list of your resources on campus who you are directly linked to. This tab lists the people and resources that are available at Fredonia to assist you each semester. For each person or service listed you will find contact information.
- Browse the Services Catalog (at the top of your screen) for quick information and access to other campus resources such as Academic Advising Services, the Career Development Office, and Financial Aid.
Pay attention to your Dashboard. The right hand column of your Dashboard highlights items that require your attention and may include alerts related to your class work, recommended referrals to campus support offices to help you succeed, and Kudos from your faculty/instructors.
Can I flag myself if I need help or have questions?
Help is available! If you have a concern that is impacting your success, you will be able to request help via Starfish, and either your instructor or a member the Starfish Core Team will assist you.
To do so, you will need to log in to Starfish, and click on the “Raise My Hand” button on the left-hand navigation bar. Select one of the topics that is relevant to your needs, and be sure to add detailed comments about your request so the appropriate staff or faculty member has the information they need to best assist you.