How to protect your computer
Symantec Endpoint Protection Software
Symantec Endpoint Protection (SEP) is licensed by Symantec Corporation to Fredonia. A provision of that license agreement allows registered students to use a copy of the software on their personal computers. Former students are not eligible to use the software.
All state-owned computers in faculty/staff offices and labs have virus protection installed as a part of the machine prep. Some older computers may need updated software. Please contact the ITS Service Center with any problems. Faculty and Staff are encouraged to purchase and install antivirus software on their home computers.
Platforms: Windows VISTA/Windows 7/Windows 8/ Windows 10, Mac OSX 10.7-10.10.1
Mac computers will continue to be protected by the Symantec Antivirus Corporate product
By downloading Symantec Endpoint Protection software you are indicating that you have read and agree to the following:
- Symantec Endpoint Protection (SEP) is licensed to Fredonia and not to me as an individual.
- My right to download, install, and utilize this software exits only so long as I am classified as a registered student by the Office of the Registrar at Fredonia.
- I am personally responsible for insuring that SEP is uninstalled and removed from my computer when I am no longer classified as a registered student at Fredonia.
- I install the Fredonia provided SEP at my own risk and I acknowledge that Fredonia is in no way responsible or liable for any damage that the installation or removal of the aforementioned software may incur on my personal computer.
You must uninstall other Anti-Virus programs before you install Symantec Endpoint Protection. If you are upgrading from a previous version of Symantec Anti-Virus, you must first uninstall it. Mac Users: If for any reason this does not work, go to Symantec's Website to download the RemoveSymantecMacFiles removal utility.
Please only download and install this program if you are comfortable or experienced with such operations. Fredonia provides this software as a service but cannot take responsibility for your choice to download and install programs.
- Detects and removes viruses and spyware
- Blocks spyware and worms automatically
- Prevents virus-infected emails from spreading
- Finds and removes hidden threats
- Checks compressed file archives for viruses
- Updates itself automatically
- Automatically scans for viruses after downloading updates
- Includes protection updates and new product features as available throughout the license period On-going Protection keeps your computer protected from the latest Internet risks by automatically renewing your subscription at the regular subscription price (plus applicable tax), so you don't have to.
Policy & Support
Fredonia is providing SEP to students as a courtesy since every computer connected to the campus network is required to run current anti-virus protection software. "Managed" anti-virus protection is in place on campus-owned computers.
ResNet and Non-ResNet student anti-virus protection is un-managed. (Fredonia's Computer and Network Usage Policy A. Academic/Administrative and Residential (ResNet) Network, Anti-virus Protection V. Services, Section 1)
The ResNet Office provides limited hardware and software support for all students that live in the residence halls. This includes support for the installation and problem resolution of the university provided SEP as well as other anti-virus software applications.
Download Symantec Endpoint Protection Software
Students must log on to Your Connection in order to download the software.
Alternative Anti-virus Solutions
Microsoft Security Essentials
Sophos anti-virus for Mac Home Edition
Virus Detection and Prevention Tips
For tips on protecting your computer and detecting viruses:
Virus Detection and Prevention Tips
Virus Alerts and Hoaxes
To check for virus alerts and hoaxes, please go to any of these links before forwarding any virus warnings to the ITS Service Center:
Symantec Anti-Virus Library