- Faculty & Staff
There are many ways to get around in Fredonia, with personal vehicles being our students' first choice. Public buses run several daily routes from the campus to the major towns and cities including Buffalo, Jamestown, Toronto and Erie, Pennsylvania.
If you already have a valid driver's license from your home country, and you are older than 16, you do not need to get a New York State Driver's License to drive a passenger vehicle in New York State. However, if you plan to buy a car then you must get a NYS Driver's License, buy auto insurance and register your vehicle at the NYS Department of Motor Vehicle Office.
To obtain a NYS Driver's License, you will be required to submit an application, several forms of identification and proof of residency. Once the application has been processed, you must still pass a written test, complete a 5-hour pre-licensing course and pass a road test to qualify for a NYS drivers license.
You can pick up an application and a Driver's Manual online at their website: New York State Department of Motor Vehicles or by visiting their office at:
3988 Vineyard Dr
Dunkirk, NY 14048
It take approximately 12 months to get a license, and it must be renewed every 8 years.
- The Campus and Community Bus Service is paid for by your Student Service fee, so you don't have to pay extra to ride it! The bus stops at the Williams Center and then makes a 45 minute loop out to stores and other points of interest in Fredonia & Dunkirk.
- The CARTS bus route runs between D & F Plaza, Tops Plaza, Wal-Mart and other locations in Dunkirk. It costs about $2.75 to $3.25 for each ride. For more information, call 1-800-556-8553.
- The Coach USA and Greyhound bus services operate daily bus routes to Buffalo and Jamestown as well as other major cities in the US. Students can pick up schedules and buy tickets at the Fredonia Ticket Office in the Williams Center or call them at 673-3501 to make reservations or get information.
Taxi companies are on-call 24 hours a day. It costs about $7.00 to go from one point to another in the Fredonia/Dunkirk area. Airport Taxi Service and Western New York Super Shuttle provide transportation to and from the Buffalo Niagara International Airport. The cost is about $120. For the opening weekend and key holiday departure and arrival dates, Fredonia wil be running a new shuttle service to and from the Buffalo airport and the Depew train station in the fall. For more information contact the ticket office http://www.fredonia.edu/tickets/.
- A-Cab: 716-366-8888
- Terminal Cab Company: 716-672-7556
- Airport Taxi Service
- Western NY Super Shuttle: 716-633-2999
Amtrak operates a two train stations in Buffalo: 55 Dick Road and 75 Exchange Street. To get to the Exchange Street Station from Fredonia, take the Coach USA bus to Buffalo and get off at the Exchange Street station stop. You can buy a train ticket from Amtrak's website or by calling 1-800-USA-RAIL.
There are two airports that service the Fredonia region: Erie International in Erie, Pennsylvania and Buffalo Niagara International in Buffalo, New York. The airport in Buffalo is usually the cheapest one to fly into and is serviced by most major airlines.
If you have a driver's license from your home country and you are 21 years old you may rent a car in the US. There are several major rental car companies at the airports.
Monday - Friday
8:30am - 5:00pm
International Student Services
International Student Services (ISS) Office
Williams Center S226A
State University of New York at Fredonia
Fredonia, NY 14063