Q: How will I know what financial aid I am eligible for?
A: The Fredonia Financial Aid Office sends a Financial Aid Award Letter to you when the financial aid "package" is first put together upon receipt of the FAFSA/Renewal FAFSA results. As long as Fredonia is listed on the application, we will receive the results electronically.
Q: I did not list Fredonia, what do I do now?
A: Simply go to FAFSA.ed.gov and add Fredonia's school code 002844.
Q: How do I know if an award is actual?
A: As long as the Financial Aid Office has not requested any additional information your awards are actual and (with the exception of Work Study) can be used toward college charges. Your TAP award is estimated until the State of New York passes the budget and notifies the school of your award. Please note you must complete the TAP application in order for the state to determine your award.
Q: What do I have to do to change estimated awards to actual awards?
A: Different procedures are required for different types of aid. See the following:
- TAP - make sure you apply by completing TAP Application and the FAFSA/Renewal FAFSA.
- For all Federal aid, if selected return the Verification Worksheet and copies of requested tax returns and W-2s.
- STAFFORD LOANS -
- You are required to accept the Federal Direct Stafford Loan via YOUR CONNECTION. Click here for instructions on accepting/declining your aid.
- First-time borrowers at Fredonia must complete Entrance Counseling. Click here and under "Manage My Direct Loan" sign in using your 4 digit pin used to sign the FAFSA. Then click on "Complete Entrance Counseling".
- ALL students including past Stafford Loan borrowers MUST complete a new Federal Direct Electronic Master Promissory Note (eMPN). Click here and under "Manage My Direct Loan" sign in using your 4 digit pin used to sign the FAFSA. Then click on "Complete Master Promissory Note".
- TEACH Grant - The TEACH Grant is estimated until an academic review of each student is completed. Each student must complete the Agreement to Serve (ATS) and Entrance Counseling prior to each award year.
- Perkins Loan - Students must accept the loan and complete the Electronic Master Promissory Note by July 31st of every year or the award will be cancelled.
- Work Study - Work Study must be accepted by July 31st of every year or the award will be cancelled. First year work study students must also complete the on-line work study survey by July 31st. Failure to do so will also result in cancellation.
Q: I have a scholarship that is not listed on my Award Letter. What should I do?
A: Send documentation regarding the student's name and FID number, the scholarship amount, the scholarship duration, and the fact it is paid directly to the college on behalf of the student to the Financial Aid Office.
Q: Why didn't I receive the full Stafford Student Loan?
A: Stafford Loan eligibility is based on date received from the FAFSA/Renewal FAFSA, the total cost of attending Fredonia, and other aid awarded.
Q: Why didn't I receive a Work Study or Perkins Loan?
A: The award criteria varies slightly for each program. You might be eligible for one type but not the other two, or you might be eligible for none. The criteria consists of "need", date of application completion, and funds available, to name a few.
Q: This seems like a lot of work I have to do. What if I mess up and forget to do something on time?
A: It is your responsibility to understand what you're applying for and how and when each step must be completed. You run the risk of not receiving the correct financial aid if you don't keep copies of applications completed or forget to do something on time.