- Faculty & Staff
Applications for Appeal of Federal Student Aid
During the course of a year, a family may experience unemployment, death, or disability of a wage earner. These cases are grounds for a review of the applicant's aid eligibility. The procedure for filing an appeal due to severe income changes within a family is as follows:
- The initial FAFSA/Renewal FAFSA using prior year income has been filed by the family and the resulting Student Aid Report (SAR) has been received by the student.
- Current year family income has been reduced due to unemployment for a period of 10 weeks or more, death or disability.
- The family then submits a letter to the Financial Aid Office which details the reason for income change, the date of the income change, and total taxable and untaxed income for the family during the present calendar year.
- If additional documentation is required by the Financial Aid Office, it will be requested.
- The appeal is evaluated, and eligibility is recalculated if possible.
- A response regarding the appeal determination is sent to the student.
Financial Aid Office
209 Maytum Hall
State University of New York at Fredonia
Fredonia, NY 14063
8:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
(716) 673-3785 Fax