- Faculty & Staff
Jill G. Marshall, Ph.D.Associate Professor, Curriculum and Instruction: Social Studies
Office: TH E 246 Phone: (716)673-3370
Before earning her doctoral degree and teaching at the university level, Dr. Jill Marshall taught 6th grade social studies and literacy in the Hamburg Central School District. She continues to remain connected to the District by teaching in the Fredonia Hamburg Program, Fredonia’s Professional Development School established over 40 years ago. As a professor to both undergraduate and graduate students, she strives to provide active learning experiences which enable candidates to become reflective and critical thinkers.
Her research interests focus on preserving social studies instruction in elementary classrooms with the demands of national and state-mandated standards, integrating primary sources within literacy content based instruction, and professional development schools field based instruction and its impact on equipping teacher candidates as future educators.
- Maheady, L., Magiera, K., Simmons, R., & Marshall, J., Xiaoning, C., Beier, C. (2013). Forging and sustaining school‑university partnerships to promote inclusive education: One institution's journey. Exceptional Individuals, 35(13).
- Magiera, K., Simmons, R., & Marshall, J., Xiaoning, C. (2013). Forging and Sustaining School‑University Partnerships to Promote Inclusive Education in Rural School Settings. American Council of Rural Special Education E-Journal.
- Marshall, J. G. (2010). Connecting university and student teaching experiences through the jackdaw kit project. The Social Studies, 101(4), 137-139.
- Marshall, J.G. & Klein, A. M. (2010). Lessons in social action: Equipping and inspiring students to improve their world. The Social Studies, 100(5), 218-221.
- Magiera, K., Simmons, R., Marshall, J., Xiaoning, C. “Forging and Sustaining School-University Partnership to Promote Inclusive Education in Rural Schools.” American Council on Rural Special Education, March, 2013, Orlando, Florida.
- Magiera, K., Simmons, R., Marshall, J. “Transitions in Rural Education: Enhancing School-University Partnerships.” NYSATE/NYACTE, October, 2013, Saratoga Springs, New York.
- Magiera, K., Simmons, R., Saland, S., Maheady, L., Marshall, J. Givner, C. “Forging and Sustaining School-University Partnerships to Promote Inclusive Education in Rural Schools.” New York State Council for Exceptional Children, November, 2012, Saratoga Springs, New York.
- Marshall, J. “How Big is Your Footprint?” New York State Association for the Education of Young Children, April, 2012, Buffalo, NY.
- Marshall, J. “7 Billion and Counting: Lessons for Our Planet’s Future.” Science Teachers Association of New York State, November, 2012, Rochester, New York.
- Marshall, J. “Interdisciplinary Activities for a World of 7 Billion.” New York State Middle School Association Conference, October 2012, Buffalo, New York.
- 2004 Ph.D., Elementary Social Studies Education, University at Buffalo
- 1997 M.S., Reading Education, Canisius College
- 1989 B.S., Sociology, Buffalo State College