Requirements for an Initial Certificate:
Upon successful completion of your program, Fredonia will recommend you for certification to New York State. The Initial Certification is valid for five years after the date on the certificate. During this five-year period, you must complete requirements for the professional certificate.
Steps to Initial Certification:
- Completion of Fredonia's degree requirements
- Successful completion of all required NYSTCE tests
- Fingerprints submitted and cleared
- Completion of Fredonia’s Waiver Form (blue form attached to the Application for Degree)
- Completion of the TEACH Online Application for Certification and payment of applicable fees for each TEACH application
Progression from Initial to Professional Certification:
Initial Certification is valid for five years. Check your TEACH account for the exact expiration date of your initial certification.
- Masters Degree - Please click here for more information.
- 3 years of full time teaching experience - Please click here for more information. 3 years = 540 days**
All teaching experience must be verified using this form: Verification of Paid Experience Form
- 1 year of mentoring (required by NY State public school districts) - Please click here for more information.
- Document proof of attending training in Harassment, Bullying, Cyberbullying, and Discrimination in Schools: Prevention and Intervention (DASA Training) - Click here for a list of approved DASA providers.
- *Professional certification is available only to citizens and lawfully admitted permanent residents of the United States
**If the effective date of your first initial certification was on/after 2/1/14, your teaching experience must be in the content/area/level of the certificate
Time Extension / Initial Reissuance:
If you will not have the requirements completed for professional certification by the expiration date of your initial certification, you will need to apply for a time extension or a reissuance. Prior to applying, it is suggested that you read the requirements very carefully, especially for the reissuance.
Caution... The reissuance requires that 75 hours of professional development be completed BEFORE the application is submitted in TEACH.
Time Extension Info: http://www.highered.nysed.gov/tcert/certificate/timeext.html
Initial Reissuance Info: http://www.highered.nysed.gov/tcert/certificate/reissue.html
Once you have professional certification, you will need to complete 175 professional development hours every 5 years to maintain your certification. For any questions in regards to this requirement, please go to:
Return to the Office of Student Services page.