- Faculty & Staff
One Student Teaching Possibility- In Australia
Student "Teaching in Queensland" at the University of the Sunshine Coast
Spring Student Teaching Placement (January-March)
Fredonia’s student teaching program, sponsored in conjunction with the University of the Sunshine Coast (USC), Queensland, AU, is presently an 8-week program. USC is located 60 miles north of Brisbane, Queensland, in the town of Sippy Downs. Student teaching placements will occur near the USC campus and will be accessible by public transportation.
The program includes:
- Ongoing orientation program and supervision: A USC faculty member will provide an orientation seminar designed to support student teachers in their experience in Queensland schools and will serve as the students' field supervisor and liaison between the student, Queensland Schools, USC, and Fredonia.
- Student teaching: Thirty-five days student teaching placement near USC.
- Time for travel(Prior to the beginning of student teaching or over weekends while at USC)
- EDU 416 enrollment in the online section of EDU 416, Advanced Capstone Seminar
Twenty-five day student teaching placement in unique, rural setting. Kingaroy is located inland, west, of USC.
*This program meets requirements mandated by the New York State Education Department as well as by the State University of New York.
Sample Student Teaching Program Dates
COE juniors in good standing indicate interest in student teaching in Australia
Spring semester of Junior year
International Study Application submitted to Office of International Education
Mid-April of Junior year
Interviews conducted and selections made for program participants
April-May of Junior year
Study Abroad pre-departure requirements completed and payment due
Fall semester of Senior year
Arrival at University of Sunshine Coast, Australia
Mid-January of Senior year
Student Teaching in Australia
Mid-January to mid-March of Senior year
Mid-March of Senior year
Second student teaching placement in NY
Mid-March to mid-May of Senior year
Housing and Meals
Apartment style accommodations are provided at USC and generally include two to four bedrooms with a common kitchen and living area. Students are responsible for their own meals.
Passport and Visa Information
All students must have a valid passport and a Working Holiday Visa from the Australian government.
- Fredonia tuition and fees for one semester (including 2nd student teaching placement and EDU 416)
- International Education Program Fee (including health insurance, administrative fees, and housing)
- Personal Expenses (including airfare, meals, passport, visa, ground transportation)