- Faculty & Staff
The Biology Honors program is a competitive program that will allow talented Biology students to perform research at an advanced level.
Admission to the program will require a formal application with the following requirements:
- A minimum 3.5 GPA at the time of the application.
- Application generally 1 year in advance of graduation, or at least 1 semester in advance for students with at least 3 credits of prior research.
- Approval of the application by the mentoring professor and the department chair.
- A formal research proposal approved by the mentoring professor.
Successful completion of the Honors Degree will require:
- Establishing an advisory committee composed of the mentoring professor and 1 (or more) other faculty members.
- A minimum of 6 credit hours of undergraduate research taken over at least 2 semesters (including hours taken prior to enrollment in the program).
- A written Honors thesis to be read and approved by the all members of the advisory committee.
- A public lecture followed immediately by a formal defense that is closed to the public but includes the advisory committee and is open to any Fredonia faculty.
Upon successful completion of the Honors program:
- Students will have the designation “Biology Honors” placed on their transcript.
- Students will be designated as “Biology Honors’ graduates in the commencement booklet and can wear appropriate Honors cords during the ceremony.