- Faculty & Staff
Notes from program coordinator Jefferson Westwood:
- If you are thinking of declaring a major in arts administration at SUNY Freodnia, please make an appointment with me as soon as possible. It is preferable to CALL or STOP BY to make your appointment, rather than requesting one by email. My phone number is 716-673-3217. If I am not here, my secretary, Sue Levandoski can usually set you up with a meeting time. My office is located in room G-15 of Rockefeller Arts Center. Use the entrance to Bartlett Theater and turn left. I am in the first office on the left.
- Arts Administration may or may not be the best choice for you. Many of the students that come to see me end up in one of the artistic disciplines (music, theater, dance, visual arts) in communication or in business. Two recent students also opted to create their own individualized majors though the university's Interdisciplinary Studies program. By talking with you and learning about about what you have done in the past and your dreams for the future, I can help you choose the program that is best for you.
- The strength of our program is not the list of individual courses, but the emphasis we place on practical, hands-on learning through internships and practica courses. A practicum is essentially like an internship, but you do it on campus. (Internships are generally off-campus.) Internships usually carry a higher number of credits (up to 15) than practica do.
- We offer practica in several areas: Box office, front-of-house, publicity & publications, fund-raising (fall only) and contracts and concert production (spring only.) Space is limited, especially in the later two classes. Majors and upper classmen have priority. for more specific information, please see our internship page.
- I encourage all students to get involved in our volunteer usher corps as soon as possible. Ushers are accepted only twice a year -- at the beginning of each semester please email RAC assistant director email@example.com if you are interested or call him at 716-673-3744. Serving at least one semester as a volunteer usher is a pre-requsite to doing the front-of-house practicum. Service in our usher corps can also lead to a position as a house manager, one of the few opportunities you may have to gain supervisory experience while still in college.
- If you are persuing a major in arts administration, I strongly encourage you to do a full time internship at a summer theatre or performing arts festival. Past students have worked at such prestegious organizations as the Ravinia Festival, Tanglewood, Jacob's Pillow and the Glimmerglass Opera Company. I can give you leads and recommendations, but you are responsible for obtaining your own internship. Normal tuition rates apply. Visit our new internship page for more information, searchable data-bases and links to current and past internship openings.
Rockefeller Arts Center
State University of New York at Fredonia
Fredonia, NY 14063